The Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) is now under the command of General Rey “Jagger” Guerrero, a newly retired Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief.
Gen. Guerrero precedes former MARINA Administrator Marcial Amaro III who was fired few months ago due to his alleged excessive travels.
A military man in our marino world, here are five interesting facts you probably don’t know about Gen. Guerrero.
1. A PMA alumnus. Yes you read it right, it’s Philippine Military Academy (PMA) not Philippine Merchant Marine Academy (PMMA). Gen. Guerrero graduated in 1984 and was the 3rd top student of his “Maharlika” class.
2. DU30’s bet. Jagger, as what he is commonly called by his colleagues, was set to retire in December 2017. But his term as AFP’s chief was extended to April 24 by the President, and looking forward 3-4 months from now he’ll likely govern MARINA.
3. Sworn to office. In Dec 6, 2017, then newly promoted AFP Chief General Guerrero finally took the oath of office before President Duterte at Malacañang Palace.
4. Seasoned Commander. AFP Eastern Mindanao Command had Jagger as Commanding General upon his service in the 61st Infantry Batallion in Southern Negros and 3rd Infantry Division. During his stint as chief of Eastern Mindanao Command, Guerrero watched over Duterte’s Davao, Caraga and parts of Soccksargen.
5. In a class of his own. Radio DWDD reported online that Gen. Guerrero has consistently dominated his career courses. A well-decorated General, Guerrero received various recognitions like the Bronze Cross Medal, Military Merit and Commendation Medals, and Legion of Honor, among others.
Don’t miss the latest stories in our maritime community. Follow us!
Photos screen grab from:
MARINA Logo: STCW Manila/Facebook
PMA Logo: Philippine Military Academy/Facebook
Eastern Mindanao Command: Eastern Mindanao Command/Facebook
Gen. Guerrero: GMA News, Presidential Photo
President Rodrigo Duterte: Rodrigo Duterte/Facebook
React to this story.
Share us your thoughts about this blog post.
Post a comment below.