The Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) will soon be under the command of a 4 star military General. This was the message of President Rodrigo Duterte to the public when he went to Mawab, Compostela Valley on Monday, January 22. Duterte was referring to appoint no other than but General Rey “Jagger” Guerrero, the present Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief.
According to a news report of Rappler, Gen. Guerrero retires in April 24. Soon after his retirement though, Duterte would like him to take over MARINA’s top post. He will precede former agency Administrator Marcial Amaro III whom the President himself fired a month ago due to his “excessive” travels.
We made some research and here are five interesting facts you probably don’t know about Gen. Guerrero.
1. A PMA alumnus. Yes you read it right, it’s Philippine Military Academy (PMA) not Philippine Merchant Marine Academy (PMMA). Gen. Guerrero graduated in 1984 and was the 3rd top student of his “Maharlika” class.
2. DU30’s bet. Jagger, as what he is commonly called by his colleagues, was set to retire in December 2017. But his term as AFP’s chief was extended to April 24 by the President, and looking forward 3-4 months from now he’ll likely govern MARINA.
On this point do we have to ask you if Gen. Guerrero suits Duterte’s taste? No.
3. Sworn to office. In Dec 6, 2017, then newly promoted AFP Chief General Guerrero finally took the oath of office before President Duterte at Malacañang Palace.
4. Seasoned Commander. AFP Eastern Mindanao Command had Jagger as Commanding General upon his service in the 61st Infantry Batallion in Southern Negros and 3rd Infantry Division. During his stint as chief of Eastern Mindanao Command, Guerrero watched over Duterte’s Davao, Caraga and parts of Soccksargen.
5. In a class of his own. Radio DWDD reported online that Gen. Guerrero has consistently dominated his career courses. A well-decorated General, Guerrero received various recognitions like the Bronze Cross Medal, Military Merit and Commendation Medals, and Legion of Honor, among others.
Don’t miss the latest in our maritime community. Follow us!
Photos screengrabbed from:
MARINA Logo: STCW Manila/Facebook
PMA Logo: Philippine Military Academy/Facebook
Eastern Mindanao Command: Eastern Mindanao Command/Facebook
Gen. Guerrero: GMA News, Presidential Photo
President Rodrigo Duterte: Rodrigo Duterte/Facebook
Share us your thoughts about this blog post.
Post a comment below.